Friday, October 24, 2008

How to Read Blogs - 3 Easy Steps

I suspect that for some who read this blog, the whole blog world is a relatively new thing. For myself, I have found that blogs are a great way of keeping myself informed about what’s happening. But it can also be time-consuming. And keeping up with your favourite blogs by manually checking each one to see if there’s a new post can feel like a time waster. If you are new to this, let me show you an easy way to stay connected to as many blogs as you like without having to click through them all the time. There are several methods, but here’s what I do:

Step 1.Sign up with Google Reader. Google Reader is a feed that keeps all your blogs in one place–and shows you which blogs have new posts. Once you sign up, you simply enter the web address of a blog you wish to subscribe to, and it will keep track of any new posts that are written. I keep Google Reader on my bookmarks toolbar for quick access. When I find a blog I like, I copy the URL, go to Google Reader and add it to my list.

Step 2.Make iGoogle the home page on your computer. When you go through the process of setting up iGoogle, be sure to add the Google Reader module. When you sign in on your homepage, any new posts from your list should automatically show up.

Step 3.Subscribe to your favourite blogs! I have more than 30 blogs that I keep up with. Some post every day, many less than once a week. There are a variety of types of blogs to follow.
  • Personal: If friends or family members have a photo account on a site like Flickr, you can subscribe and any new pictures will show up on your homepage.
  • Work related: Subscribe to blogs that are related to your job or the industry you work in.
  • Others: Some people use blogs to keep up with news or world events, or the latest travel specials!!!!


  • My suggestion is to find a few blogs you like and start there. As you dive into the blogging world, you’ll come across links and suggestions about others. I’ve also had to be disciplined to only subscribe to blogs that I stay interested in.

    Reprinted with permission from missionalfaith.wordpress.com

    No comments: